Thread: New to Savannah monitors

New to Savannah monitors

Hi y'all, as I was doing some research on savannah monitors I stumbled across this site and thought I'd ask a few questions. Alright so I've heard that you can go straight ahead and put a hatchling sav in an adult sized enclosure? Is this true, if so does this affect the taming process? For the enclosure I was told 8x4x4 is the minimum, can an adult sav live comfortably in those conditions? I might me able to extend the enclosure by a foot or two if not. I've heard a lot of people say feeding Dubia roaches is good, problem is those are illegal up here. Any alternatives to dubias? Also what is the best substrate in your opinion? I know savs like to burrow but I'm not really sure what type of substrate would be best. I hope I didn't annoy anyone with my dumb questions, I just want to be able to provide my animal with the best care I can. Thanks!

Welcome to the forum and monitor keeping. For starters I would visit savannahmonitor. net and look into waynes youtube channel, I want to say it's called infernalis1. A hatchling will be more than happy in the adult enclosure and the extra foot or so offered will be greatly appreciated by an adult sav. in place of dubia roaches you can feed mice, rats, crickets, locusts, earthworm, fish, really anything that is a whole prey item.

Super Moderator
    As Richard said, that website to check out is worthwhile. It will give you a good idea of the amount of work that really goes into keeping one. I put a young one in an 8x6x6 cage (I believe he was around 3 months old at the time and his size was around 8 inches...maybe even less. Tiny is how I would have describe him at the time). It only took my sav a couple of weeks to settle in and then a couple of months to become bold enough to not be concerned if I approached the cage. Savs are hard to provide for with the space, cost of upkeep and weight of the cage and the cost to feed. Its becoming more acceptable to keep them on an insect based diet as well.

To be honest, if its a "tame" lizard you are wanting to keep, getting a monitor may not be the best choice to make. Most monitors will only get as far as being tolerant. Some may get interactive but they are not known to be the type you can call a real pet. They are happier to be just looked at and fed....in general. They don't want to be messed with much. A tegu is more of a pet, one that actually is a bit socialble in that sense. That's a reptile I'd suggest researching a bit if your looking for one you can be more "friends" with. If trust is earned the right way, tegus have been known to be attention whores actually. They seek out attention rather than shy away from it like a monitor would

Hello My ex gave my daughter one of these as a Christmas gift. I know dogs large dogs. I do not speak lizard at all lol. My daughter is now freaking out bc she realizes it shouldn't be in a 10 gallon tank like he said it should be and that it needs to be hotter and apparently humid. Not sure how to accomplish that part yet. Dead frozen mice in my freezer I now have. Now my issues is habitat. Is the largest it will need is 8*4*4?? or will it eventually need to be bigger then that. Since size doesn't seem to be a issue Id prefer to just build it once and be done. And any clue where to get bulbs bc the ones at pets mart only heats to 120 not 180 and how the hell do I make it humid?? Please clue me in. PS bull mastiffs are so much easier I just open a back door lol

Super Moderator
    Sorry nobody has replied to you yet Jenn. You should maybe start your own thread so that all responses are geared towards just helping you out. Yes an 8x4x4 cage will do for one (the infamous spouting of bigger is always better does ring true, even if it causes eye rolling after seeing it said so much). Any living creature will appreciate not being in a cramped space day after day. Regardless if they use or don't use every square inch of the cage at all times, its there just to make the space they have to live in feel like actual space. I'm sure you can imagine it would be like a large dog being chained up to a tree in the backyard as opposed to one that has a large yard to run and exercise....its a lot like that for captive lizards too I would think. So if you have the ability to go larger than that typical cage size response, by all means go for it

The website that Richard had mentioned in his comment is a good start. There are some cage examples there that could give you an idea on what you could do. There is also a facebook group (link to it is in the menu bar just under where it says "varanidae forum") that has lots of cage examples, most are the typical 8x4x4. Mine is slightly bigger and taller and I can't say enough of how glad I am that I went with a slightly bigger space width wise and in height. Just 2 extra feet of height in the cage makes my savs living space feel more open and airy to myself, I can only imagine (although I'm heavily anthropomorphizing) that my sav feels a bit more freedom