Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Me and my sav

Me and my sav

Just wanted to say hello and show my sav i just got her name is angel after my grandmother who just passed she will be 4 ears old in may and is very overweight.
    Been letting her get some outside time which she loves and i live in southern Ga so it is very warm outside. I work as a veterinary technician at a ER we see mostly cats/dogs and some exotics/large animals. Ive kept reptiles since i was about 14 and would love to one day be a tech at a hospital that is only exotics. I have here in a 8*4*4 foot enclosure in my garage which i made into my reptile room also have a ball python and a green iguana. Here basking spot is 135.5 when i temped it today. Substrate is dirt from my back yard/ mixed with sand 60/40 ratio.Humidity is around 65% 95 in the burrow. Her previous owner was feeding mainly cut up chicken breast/eggs and med f/t rats also said fish as well ,but unsure what kind. She is very lazy in her cage i've started some burrows for her which she seems to like. when i take her out she is great loves roaming the back yard and digging around an area that my dogs started to dig up lol. She is pretty tolerant of handling have gotten a few tail whips ,but i will just sit and watch her outback and she will come up and acknowledge me sometimes even lay out right under my chair while im outback. i am getting her to the vet soon just for a check up for the fact that i just got here and she is so fat. Fecal/labwork hopefully that all checks out wIMG_0245[1].jpgIMG_0247[1].jpgIMG_0246[1].jpgell.

Her enclosure does look a bit different now this was taken the second day i got her i'm building a larger 10*6**6 habitat for her now just going a little slow as my son is getting open heart surgery in 2 weeks so i got a lot going on right now, but she is doing well i would love her to be like Wayne's monitors i've followed and read most of his posts amazing animals he has. I would have liked to raise one from a baby ,but didn't really work out how i wanted the baby i had shipped to me died in 16 hours was very poorly taken care of vomiting after just 12 hours and passed very sad to watch terrible that these online places ship and have these animals that they don't care for at all and despite the bad reviews i got the baby that passed from backwater reptiles hoping that i could save one, but in the end all i did was support a terrible business they did refund me and offer to send me a new monitor lol no thanks i got angel of kingssnake.com from a guy that lived in new jersey

Hey Joey, welcome to the forum. Wow yes, she is very overweight. God I'm so sorry to hear you are having such tragic moments in your life right now. Very sorry to hear about your Grandmother and also very sorry to hear about your son. I wish you strength to see these things through and your son to recover quickly.

Backwater is one of the worst out there from what I've heard. They should be severely fined and forced to close their business from all the horror stories I've read about them. But sadly, reptiles are not as much of a concern so things like this go unnoticed all the time. If it was a fluffy kitten they were pushing I'm sure the national outrage would go pretty far and wide.

Yah, small meals and not so many would be a good start. And do a mostly insect diet too if you can. You're already taking action with making her exercise a lot which is great, but this will take a long time to see results. You are getting some bloodwork done with her? It would be a really good idea to get her checked over that way. She may even be having issues cycling which can cause huge issues, most of which end up being fatal unless drastic action is done...like getting her spayed. I wish you the best on this sav and in your personal life

Thank you for your kind words means a lot yeah I will request some bloodwork I've tried insects she wants nothing to do with them at all. I've asked her previous owner about her cycling and he hasn't responded yet. I will get her spayed as well I can actually do it at my job as one of our part time vets does exotics so being a part of her surgery should be fun as well but I'll have to hold off until after her labs are done to make sure everything is okay. She is fat but such an amazing animal. Her vet visit will be the beginning of April after my sons surgery I hope and pray they both are okay. I saw a video idk if it was yours or not with the snake skin as enrichment and she loved that played with it for about an hour and I have a puzzle feeder for my dogs I put pinkies in there to make her work for a tiny treat

Yes that video posted with the snake shed is my sav. I wish your son the best!

Thank you I'll keep you updated and I'm at work currently my vet said she can spay my sac so I'll video it if o end up doing it here and post the surgery for everyone to see

Sav lmao damn autocorrect

Has your vet done many monitor spayings in the past? That's great if she has been there, done that many times with monitor lizards and this will be a routine surgery for her. And if it does go through that would be a very educational post, so thanks ahead of time if it all goes this way and you share it.

From what I gather, spaying is a last resort type of thing when the animal is not able to complete a cycle and not used as a preventative measure by any means. Really, I'm no expert and I'm just repeating what I've either been told or assumed from reading others say. It must be great to have a vet you can trust who is so close at hand (working along side one, you can't get any closer at hand then that) to be able to discuss these things in detail
    with
    Last edited by Lori; 03-12-2017 at 02:50 AM.

I don't think many people have spayed their monitors or any reptile ,but its kid of weighing the pros and cons in my opinion. Why risk reproductive issues issues if her labs check out well and she is okay for surgery it seems like it would be very beneficial in the long run. On a good note she is starting to act like a monitor should tail whipping not acting tame as people would put it she let me feed her with tongs for the first time last night and actually chased the mouse when i moved it which was good as before she would just want me to lay it out in front of her. Hopefully it warms up as its been in the low 60s and rainy last two days so she wasn't really had any out of cage time besides a brief 30 minute walk around the house last night. I'm very impressed with her quick turn around and feels good to see her acting like a monitor should makes me feel like I'am doing things right

A belated welcome from me, Joey.
    I am sorry to hear you have so much going on at the moment; we all wish the best for your son.
    Regarding your monitor, could you put more obstacles to climb over in the enclosure? That would be a form of exercise in the tank, to complement you taking it out.
    It's an addiction!