Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello from mid north South Australia

Hello from mid north South Australia

Hi all,

Only recently discovered this site is back. Had to sign up again for some reason (?). Struggled with the random question too, lol. Google helped.

My wife and I have kept reptiles for years, and currently have 11 pythons, a leatherback beardie, a water dragon, a water skink, and of course monitors, 1 red ackie, 1 freckled monitor, 1 Spencer's, 2 flavi's, and most recently 2 panoptes.
    We live in regional South Australia, on a quarter acre block, growing as much of our own fresh produce that we can. Will have chickens soon, and fruit trees growing nicely.

It's nice to be back.
    It's an addiction!

Welcome back pinefamily I think I remember you, the username sound familiar (if I'm right, you once posted some pictures of the kinds of lizards you came across just by living where you live....I am picturing this gecko of some sort on the side of a box in your garage or work? Its been a while lol). Yes, the old varanustalk forum crashed and as hard as it was tried to recover, it couldn't be done. So Wayne had to start all over again from scratch.

Looking forward to your pictures and experiences/stories working with them

Thanks for the welcome, Lori. I don't think that was me you were describing. Until late last year we lived in suburbia, although we still had garden skinks, marbled geckoes and the occasional blue tongue in the yard.
    Now we have a whole colony of small skinks (not sure on the species), several geckoes and blue tongues on our property. We also have lace monitors in the local area, occasionally see them in trees at the creek down the road. There are sand monitors out in the paddocks as well. And we are in brown snake territory too, although they don't often come into the township. One of the local sparkies told me he occasionally finds them in meter boxes.
    It's an addiction!

Ah ok, well it was a while ago and my memory does suck, so not surprising I mistook you for another member of the old varanustalk :P I knew it was a man who lived in Australia and we had a few comments back and forth about how lucky he was to live there with all the native creatures right in this backyard, so to speak. Then he showed a picture of some sort of tiny lizard that he found in a large box one day...pretty sure it was his garage.

Oh I hope you get to take some pictures of everything you see. I'd love to see some wild lacies and goannas There is nothing more beautiful than seeing ones in the wild being the true kings of the lizards that they are, just going about doing their monitor stuff

Welcome, I'm a new member on this site but I occasionally lurked on the old one lol. I recently bought some land and also plan on adding a few chickens, and maybe a goat or two if the wife allows it lol

Thanks, Richard. What part of the world are you?
    The chickens we plan to use for eggs, and meat for us and/or the monitors when they are past their egg-laying days. We also are planning on breeding rabbits to feed our reptiles. Both the chickens and rabbits will provide free fertilizer for our vegetable patch as well.
    It's an addiction!

Welcome to the site! Make sure to post pictures of all the monitors... Especially the panoptes! Is it V.P. Panoptes or V.P. Rubidis? Excited to see you post more.

Thanks for the welcome. To be honest, I couldn't tell you, but if I had to guess I'd say V.P. panoptes. They are only three months old or so. Photos to come.
    It's an addiction!

I live in Texas, We'll also be using the chickens for eggs, a neighbor has about 30 and is giving us 4, no roosters yet but perhaps in the future. One problem here is that you have to lock them up at night or tge various animals will kill them. Ringtails are especially annoying because they will only kill the chicken they won't actually eat it. I really wish we could grow fruit trees where I live, all we can grow is a few different citrus, lemons and occasionally an orange. Green Beans, Peppers (green, red, and banana), lettuce, and broccoli, thrives however lol
    Last edited by Richard; 03-06-2017 at 05:42 PM.

Citrus trees are growing nicely that I planted. We already had an apricot tree here, and once the weather starts to cool, I'll plant plum, nectarine and peach. Was a bit late getting summer veggies in, with moving, but have had some nice zucchini, cucumbers, rockmelon, 1 watermelon, and some tomatoes. Capsicums, or peppers, are a work in progress.
    The two flavi's live outside in small enclosures at the moment, but they will soon be upgraded. Then have to plan enclosures for the Spencer's and the panoptes.
    It's an addiction!