Thread: Nile Monitor issue

Nile Monitor issue

Alright so I have a Nile monitor named Sven, he is currently about a two feet long and is roughly 7-8 months old.

I noticed yesterday that his head twitches side to side and his arms twitch and flail when he runs, I only noticed this when I startled him yesterday before I have him some food.

His tank is 4'x2'x2', his basking spot is 125' right under the lights and the hot side is about 100' while the cool side ranges from 85'-90'. He currently only has about 4-6 inches of soil but in the near future he will have between 1-2 feet. His diet consists mostly of gutloaded dubia roaches, calcium dusted superworms and chicken with the occasional hissing roach, raw egg, and shrimp. He has two halogen heat bulbs, a three month old uvb bulb, and he even has a window for direct desert sunlight.

Now three months ago my parents picked him and my other lizards up from Maryland because I was moving from there to arizona and I just got here on Monday. I k ow his tank is a bit small, but if you notice in the pictures its sitting on a bed frame thats 8'x4'x4' that I will be converting into an enclosure for him, as well as two other bed frames of the same dimensions for my other lizards who are doing perfectly fine.

I don't have money for a vet trip since I am still job hunting (I have colonies of all the insects so I don't have to worry about buying lizard food) so I'm looking for any and all advice on this matter. Everything I look up is saying mbd, but I can't think of how in the world he would have gotten that, he's always had high temps, calcium dusted and/or gutloaded food and a new uvb bulb every six months.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Cool

Sounds like it could be a slight neurological issue, but if you're using calcium/D3 it's not likely MBD, so that's good I suppose. You'll want basking around 140-150 and ambient around 80ish. but your temps are close enough that none of this would cause any problems like this. Humidity could be a bit of an issue, as I see you have an uncovered screen lid. Wrap it in tinfoil and aim for around 75-80%. a deep layer of substrate will also help humidity and let the animal regulate via osmosis. UVB is fine, but not necessary as long as you include whole prey. Raw chicken with bones in is fine, insects are fine, i don't use eggs much, especially chicken eggs. Mine have always liked turtle eggs if I use eggs at all. Try to include a whole rodent and salmon with the fatty tissue attached to the skin. Both provide great trace nutrients, especially rodent brains. Not sure that any of this will effect/resolve any of the above issues, but it will make for a better life for your little guy. Good luck and feel free to add/message me on FB at www.facebook.com/foofdiesel as I spend hours daily answering questions about V Niloticus specifically.

Forum admin
    As you live out in AZ, Id suggest taking it outside for around 20 minutes a day, when weather permits.

When you say you have a UVB light, can you tell me which one (brand/make/model)?