Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Baturi the sav

Baturi the sav

Just wanted to introduce myself and my latest sav. This is a young male I've named Baturi. Not happy to say, my fourth sav I've kept. The first one was a dumped sav on a reptile rescue who was left for dead for months without proper heat or food. The second and third savs I kept were both females and came from poor pasts themselves although not as bad off as that rescued one. But as its very common with female savs, my girls didn't make it long and died from what I believe was reproductive issues. Long story but just a bit of a background on why I have had so many already

Baturi was given to me by a friend as a young hatchling she got at a local reptile show. He was the last one on the table and she hated knowing the ridiculous easy to care for advice handed out by the lying sack of s**t seller was spouting. So far its been a blast to actually raise one that has not been damaged from poor care already and to have a male sav was I guess karmas way of letting me go easy this time around. I was very devestated losing my 2 females. Here is his cage and him. I'm a bit technically inept so apologies ahead of time if I don't post pictures right

Screen shot 2016-11-27 at 2.43.05 PM.jpg
    Screen shot 2016-11-27 at 2.44.22 PM.jpg
    Screen shot 2016-12-03 at 8.50.14 AM.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

He's GORGEOUS lori!

Adding some more pictures from tonight. I blinked and he grew again. I measured him not too long ago for Daniel Bennetts idea of us keepers starting to log the size and weights of our captives and I'm sure Baturi has done another growth spurt again since, so I'll be measuring him again soon. Last I checked he was 30cm snout to vent length and 50cm total. I'll guess his age as of right now would be around 8 or 9 months. I'm not sure really, just last years import that was as small as a hatchling when my friend picked him up in May

Jan 20:17-1.jpg
    Jan 20:17-2.jpg
    Jan 20:17-3.jpg

I'm going to try again with some real plants in Baturis cage. I always manage to kill plants quicker than any monitor ever could but I haven't given up just yet. I wish I was better at caring for plants because it does add so much to a cage. Pothos is one of the better plants in an enclosed environment from what I have read
    pothos plants.jpg

And to spend the last of what's left on my paycheck, I got a few things for enrichment ideas. One idea is to come, the other is this thing. Its actually a cat toy ball. There is an opening where I can stick bugs into and a slider that opens to allow some holes as big or small as I chose. Just big enough that bugs can escape if they find it and Baturis tongue to sniff them inside. I'll think about signing up for a you tube account so I can upload a video of him checking this thing out for the first time
    puzzle ball.jpg

I finally made a you tube channel and uploaded a video. This was his first time seeing this particular ball

Forum admin
    Love watching him try to figure it out! Great enrichment activity. Is there any way to make the holes slightly larger?

Yes the holes are somewhat adjustable, in the video I was a bit puzzled myself with the puzzle ball haha. After throwing it in there for him to sniff at, I discovered I can give the ball a turn and the longer holes open up just enough for even an adult roach to fit through. He does seem to have more enjoyment going through his leaf litter though, the ball seems to get tiring after a while

This was my other quickly put together enrichment idea. I didn't bother uploading a video of him with it because it definitely needs improvement lol. Or different insects in it to spark more interest. I'm going to drill out some holes in these plastic cups and maybe look around for better ones (this was all the dollar store had). I saw this idea posted once from a zoo givng their monitors these pill bottles to turn around in order for the food to drop out, so this thing was my attempt at copying that neat food puzzle that worked really well for the monitors at that zoo

Screen shot 2017-02-19 at 9.04.23 PM.jpg

That is actually a really good enrichment idea! I'll have to try that one! Another one i've been wanting to try is taking a smaller thick log, drilling some holes in it and placing prey in there, that way they have to use their claws to pull whatever prize out.