Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Baturi the sav

I used a rotted piece of wood that I found on my property, the meal worms and superworms would kind of crawl into the crevices. Needless to say my peacocks had a blast tearing into wood to find their meal. And that is one good looking sav I'll be shooting for a similar looking build this summer for my enclosure.

Forum admin
    Thats a great idea Richard. I bet you introduced a lot of other good bacteria and inverts without even trying.

Super Moderator
    Thanks Richard, he's the first sav I've kept that hasn't been messed up from poor care so its quite the different experience this time around. If I could relive my time with the others I've had, I'd wish it in a heartbeat just because they meant the world to me, but life is like that and bad things happen to innocent animals. Baturi has this one log in his cage...its actually the trunk of a cherry tree that fell down after a nasty windstorm. Its pretty thick and I tried leaving as much of it intact as I could. Since putting it in the cage the branches have started to split and crack...he sometimes sniffs around in there like he is on the hunt for something, so who knows what escaped insect may be hiding in there lol

Log sniffing.jpg

@Lori, life happens, about two years ago I had to rehome all four of my peacock monitors, I had them for close to five years at that point, two were rescues and I had produced several clutches so needless to say it was a major heartbreak for me and had them bearded dragon "tame". I wish I had cherry trees where I live, down here its all pecan and cedar which is not the safest to use with reptiles. Most of it rots away when its exposed to the high humidity and temperatures associated with the monitor cages.

@josh. Yes sir haha believe it or not some ants had been living in the log and a small colony established itself in the enclosure for a short time.

Super Moderator
    This one always seems to be a hit with entertaining people as much as it did Baturi at the time. Another enrichment idea I got from Jesse the argus keeper

Super Moderator
    Even though he long outgrew his log, Baturi still climbs on it often. I guess with the better vantage point being higher up, he does this. Its usually just after or during feeding time when I occasionally feed him with tongs so I assume he goes up to try and keep an eye out for more. I don't always feed him with tongs because I like to make him sometimes work for his food by throwing it in his leaf litter and he needs to hunt for it instead

Screen shot 2017-05-18 at 5.42.11 AM.jpg
    Screen shot 2017-05-18 at 5.42.52 AM.jpg
    Screen shot 2017-05-18 at 5.44.13 AM.jpg

Super Moderator
    I've been wanting to do this for the longest time and finally came across someone who was selling their old (but cheap) webcam. I am not doing so great on cash flow at the moment but I couldn't resist a second hand cheap one. Its not the greatest because it can't share videos or pictures directly from the camera...I have to take screenshots on my phone and upload them that way. But for a beginners webcam it will work for me. Its really neat to observe the cage and what the "Baturi cam" is picking up without having to actually be right in front of the cage. I highly recommend anyone try one out for their cages, even if its a cheap webcam

Screen shot 2017-05-31 at 8.54.16 PM.jpg
    Screen shot 2017-05-31 at 8.54.34 PM.jpg
    Screen shot 2017-05-31 at 8.54.55 PM.jpg